Ebonysbrightbook

This is where you can find the latest

Unit reflection- natural disaster

October16

In term 3 2016 we studied and investigated natural disasters. At the end of the term we did a project and chose 1 natural disaster to investigate and answer questions on one theme. We did many natural disaster lessons to lead up to this project. Some were natural disasters in general and others broke down specific natural disasters.

This is what we have learnt…

The 3 biggest facts I learnt was, firstly, how there is no possible way for natural disasters to be prevented any natural disaster you can prepare for them well.  They have started to give up preventing natural disasters.  Natural disasters are how the world forms and reacts.  If we didn’t have natural disasters what would we be doing?  So all natural disasters are formed naturally so not man made so impossible to prevent.  It’s natural and how the world works.

Another fact I learned is about earthquakes because I did earthquakes for my information report…  I found an interesting fact that minor earthquakes and smaller than earth tremor s happens more than 100 times a day because tectonic plates move all the time because they are on liquid mantel surface.  Although major earthquakes happen once a year, an earth tremor could happen once a month.

One last fact I learnt is how tectonic plates aren’t always related to earthquakes.  For example, when tectonic plates under the sea react it makes a tsunami or other tectonics could cause landslides or even avalanches when they are on mountains.

I now understand that all natural disasters can’t be prevented.  It is natural and you can’t get involved with how it works.  Science could definitely help but preparing would be much better.  There are different ways to prepare for each natural disaster.  For floods you can start by putting sand bags at gutters and leaks.  Or to prepare for earthquakes you could make your house extra stable.  It would be helpful to listen for warnings about any natural disaster especially when you live in a natural disaster prone area.  I know understand science can help but preparing will benefit more than preventing.

I also understand how each natural disaster can lead from one thing to another. They are not individual.  Once one happens it can lead to more of a natural disaster or a completely different disaster altogether.  For example, floods could lead to cyclones because all of the wind, water and damage or some could get bigger like fires, due to weather and climate.

I wonder how science has helped make natural disasters safer for the general population.

The most important thing I learnt was to start off learning everything about earthquakes because that was my project.  Then I would seek basic things for each natural disaster for example what causes it, when they occur, who often they occur or a definition.  Afterwards I was more scientific from there.  Like how, what would or why something happened.  I started to get a better idea of the information this way.

I learnt a lot of this information in many ways.  Some of it was prior knowledge.  Most of the information report was websites and research.  Other times I would look in books from past lessons.  If I needed more information I would ask adults or teachers, very rarely I would look in a book.  So I used many different research tools to get information.  So I learnt it by reading and writing the information.  I also had to understand and comprehend to get the information.  Using different sources helped me to understand the information so I can use it not only now, but in the future if I come face to face with a natural disaster.

I am not going to forget this information I learnt it is crazy to not have one major to minor natural disaster around the earth.  So it could happen where I am right now.  This is a unit I won’t forget because I might need this information in the future. I will also research more to get a better idea of natural disasters. I will try and keep up to date with the news to see where a natural disaster has happened. I have already done so in the past with keeping up with the SA floods of September ad power outage. I will also good ways to prepare for a natural disaster. So I will definitely keep this information for future in case I am involved in a natural disaster one day.

When we did our information report we used an assessment matrix to stay organised. This helped me because I could see what had to be done and what I needed to do. The past literacy lessons helped me to have a better information report. Because I learnt cause and effect, text features, impersonal voice and compare contrast and classification. When I used these strategies I had a better understanding sequenced informative information report. I aim to achieve my compare contrast and classification better and work with it more.

One of my goals were to understand key terms of earthquakes, Extreme vocabulary. I have managed to understand earthquakes vocabulary. I know most of the words and what they mean. For example epicentre means the centre of 2 tectonic plates moving. Waves are different ways they can to find an earthquake hit or waves could be an aftershock of damage. I could also ask questions to clarify key terms which has given me more ideas of information I have definitely achieved most of my goals.

SOX