Ebonysbrightbook

This is where you can find the latest

Desert adaptations reflection

June30

This term was primarily about adaptations. The unit taught us different adaptations and science. This led us to a fantastic project on a specific desert animal. We decided to do the Namaqua chameleon (desert chameleon) we chose this animal in result it has colour change which is an interesting adaptation. This project consisted of an information report, diagram, model and an experiment. This taught us initiative, working together and key facts and adaptations, although this finished up our unit although we learnt much more to help our understanding knowledge and project. This was our project that we had to do by our self so we had to use initiative and creativity, we had to think about going to each other’s house and how we were going to prepare and present our final project. We also had to think about time management, when to start doing this, when to start doing the q cards, do we have enough time to do this.

I have achieved many things all of them my partner and I are very proud of.  The thing that stood out to me was our experiment. We did a poster that contained our experiment plan, data, graph, observations, reflection and a picture of our animal the Namaqua chameleon. Our experiment was conducted to test if darker the Namaqua chameleon the hotter the chameleon is.

The material we needed consisted of

What you need:

• 1 copper bar (black)
  • 1 copper bar (white)
  • A clock to time
  • A source of heat
  • An appropriate place
  • Thermal gun to measure heat
  • Gloves

It had variables and controls and we were extremely proud of how our experiment turned out.

We would improve on making our chameleon more realistic.

Our project was split up in to 4 major parts all we had to complete they were:

The information part was about the adaptations and our understanding of the animal and the research and prior knowledge we had from our animal and about information reports

With the experiment we had to conduct an experiment using a specific plan, conduct the experiment write a graph form our data and finish off with an experiment.

Our model was a challenge since it was uncommon animal and we did it with clay we had to go to each other house and finish and paint it. There is also many different ways the chameleon can be modelled so we had to think of which is the most common and which one to do.

We then had our diagram we filled in adaptations and carefully drew it to show as many adaptations as possible.

I have achieved the understanding about adaptations and specifically structural features. Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment At the start of the unit I didn’t know what adaptations mean. Now I can confidently explain what adaptations mean and break it into behavioral and structural adaptations. I also now understand that adaptations help a particular animal survive in its environment and the adaptations they have specifically help them to survive in their own habitat. I also now know that not only animals adapt, but any living thing including plant and humans.

I have achieved the way I plan an experiment and record data and graphs. “Plan an investigation to answer questions and use equipment, technologies and materials safely, identifying potential risk” This was a great opportunity to use what we know about experiments, variables, controls and make our own Experiment. We made and experiment for multiple reasons some reasons are to gain more information on the topic and to see how much rules, control, variables, steps and difficulty is needed for the experiment. Our results were interesting and I would be interested to have another go to see how and why the experiment turned that way and I would also have a clearer focus/goal next time.

As a partnered project one of us couldn’t do everything therefore we decided that we would do the sections and help one another out although our role will be primarily about our strengths. “Reflect on how personal strengths have assisted in achieving success at home, at school or in the community” For example I was better at the power point and collecting information and my partner was more enthusiastic and advanced with the craft and modelling. So we worked off each other and went to one another’s house to finish it all. Although all together we played on one another’s strength to find the advantage.

3 Facts

The Namaqua chameleon colour change using the temperature is a fact I learnt. This fact is really interesting and surprising when I first learnt it. The fact really surprised me since I always knew that any chameleon either changed colour in result of how they were feeling or the camouflaging ability.  The chameleon we studied the (Namaqua chameleon (The desert chameleon) changes colour on their temperature of their body heat. This fact was so surprising. We did an experiment to gain more information.

This is a short passage on colour change from our information

Colour change

• The Namaqua chameleon changes colour on the temperature. This is a structural feature. This adaption is a really handy because it can be at a perfect temperature whenever. This is a beneficial because it can move, sleep and go on with live without hiding to keep warm or going somewhere to keep cool.

The Namaqua chameleon have special feet. I never knew this although this is a really key adaptation of the Namaqua chameleon it helps it walk and survive in the desert it adapts in. The feet act like snowshoes and are vital in the sandy desert. This information is again very surprising and interesting about the Namaqua chameleon.

This is a short passage on special feet from our information

Special feet

• Most chameleons live in forest areas so their toes are fused together in groups of two and three. They use their feet to grip onto branches. If the Namaqua had the same feet as forest chameleons, it would have a difficult time moving through the desert. But luckily the Namaqua chameleon can spread its toes. It provides more surface area on the feet and gives it the ability to walk on the sand without sinking. Their feet act like snowshoes on the sand. This is a special characteristic of the Namaqua chameleon.

The Namaqua chameleon also has another key adaptation that is very intriguing and unusual that is the tongue can reach out twice of its body size. The body is around 12cm so the tongue reaching to 24cm. our tongue is about 6-10cm at the most sticking out of he or she’s lip. The Namaqua chameleon tongue is approximately 15% muscle.

This is a short passage on long tongue from our information

Long tongue

• The Namaqua chameleon has a long tongue this is a structural feature. It has a long tongue because it can go from almost anywhere and reach for tasty prey. The benefit of this is it can sneak up on prey or hide to capture prey at the perfect time.

2 understandings

My first understanding is about the experiment and primarily about the structure to plan the experiment and conduct. The experiment plan we used consisted of

• What are you trying to find out?
  • Question for investigation:
  • What happens to…?
  • When we change…
  • Prediction:
  • What are you changing?
  • What are you keeping the same?
  • Measuring and observing?
  • What are you going to do?

The experiment plan was the building blocks of our experiment and from there we got everything we needed.  Including thermal gun, heat gun, and black and white copper bar. We then got an appropriate place and time. We then decided to do the experiment outside in result that is its natural habitat in the fresh air over half of its life.

This is the steps in sequence

What are you going to do?

1. First we put gloves on to stay safe around the heat gun
  2. Then we measure black copper with thermal gun
  3. Heat black copper for 30 seconds
  4. Remove heat and measure immediately
  5. Wait 30 seconds and re-measure heat on black copper
  6. Repeat step 5 2 more times
  7. Repeat steps 2-6 on White copper
  8. Draw graph and write reflection

We did all the steps exactly the same although this experiment plan was really beneficial to get the whole understanding of the experiment to conduct it.

I also now understand the meaning of adaptations and more about them. Here is an example of my understanding on adaptations:

My understanding of an adaptation:  Is an adaptation is when a living thing has specific features that helps them survive in their habitat/ environment this feature frequently adapts to the living thing to help it suit its environment. This is where the word “adaptation” comes from.

Googles understanding of an adaptation:  An adaptation is a change, that helps an organism, such as a plant or animal, survive in its environment.

Website: https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/adaptation/

They are similar with the change in result of moving to a location.

1 wondering

I am still wondering about some key facts of the Namaqua chameleon that we researched about consisting of

The life span

• I want to learn about life span because I could compare it to the rainforest chameleon. I would also be interested to know what age males, females live up to and if there are diseases that could affect a shorter life.

The diet

• I want to learn the diet because I could than know what they prey on and I know the predators so I can make a connection and chains.

What is the most important thing I learnt?

I learnt many things in this unit and many surprising facts. I learnt a lot of information because of my project I had very little prior knowledge on the Namaqua chameleon so I had to research many adaptations and facts with my partner.

The first time I went to the aquarium I extended my knowledge on adaptations learning about different sea creature’s adapting. The different adaptations of specific features. The aquarium was a great hands on physical way to interact with animals that have specific adaptations that they have been adapted to over time. Which was the building block of the adaptations process.

How did I learn it?

I learnt everything different ways most of the information very physical not mentally not written which is a better and a good experience which I could clearly remember from getting involved.

Firstly the Namaqua chameleon our own project that was up to us to research gain information of the topic. It was also up to us to present it and write this reflection to reflect. This reflection is also a lot learning about how much we have gained on adaptations, our animals were researched on and the way we conducted our science experiment.

What are you going to do with the information?

This Information is important and extremely beneficial that could help me firstly in secondary school. (Let me explain that)  Secondary school is where many different kids from different schools with a major amount of knowledge. The knowledge can consist of prior knowledge to what they learn every day in class, the point is everyone has different knowledge and I can bring my knowledge and experience for adaptations and Namaqua chameleons.

The lesson and the class time stops here, although the opportunity to keep researching and learn more is unlimited. Questions that I am still wondering about or want to learn more about. Some examples are the basic facts for example

• Diet
  • Life span
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Specific features

Answers similar to this can help make an advanced project although you still have basic facts that anyone could comprehend.

My feedback is another big part of what I am going to do. Feedback it is a short way to reflect how you have done commonly told by your peers. My partner and I’s feedback was to try and not say all our information since it go long and boring. So next time I will have all my information and power phrase it to fit the criteria including the appropriate time. We also repeated our animal’s adaptations in different wording. So we could research more adaptations and learn more and the audience won’t get bored. In result we would have an engaging and entertaining presentation.
In the end it was a magnificent, exceptional, positive, valuable and unforgettable experience. With opportunity after opportunity. Personally my favorite opportunity was to take initiative and let most of the project be up to us.

There was many interesting facts I learnt and many wonderings and improvements to progress more understandings and knowledge to gain. Which is a superb way to “end” the project left with many questions so it will never be “FINISHED”…!
My Goal overall: My goal was to manage all my information so kids won’t get bored and it can be entertaining and engaging.

My group/ communication goal: My group and communication goal is to not go our separate ways and work together so we don’t go one person does the diagram and the other does the Q cards. We could work together and maybe get it done quicker.

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

SOX